Traveling is such a hassle sometimes. On top of everything else, many countries require a visa. Luckily, Taiwanese citizens no longer need a visa if they wish to travel to the United States. This applies only to those who plan to stay in the country 90 days or less. The program that makes this possible is called the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
旅行有時很麻煩。 除了準備一切事宜，許多國家都要簽證。 幸運的是，如果台灣公民想前往美國，不再需要簽證。 這僅適用於計劃在國內停留90天以內的人士。使得這一切成真的方案就是所謂的免簽證計劃（VWP）。
To apply, a Taiwanese citizen must go to the official Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) website and fill out an application form. In addition to paying the $14 application fee, those wishing to travel must also provide their passport information, latest employment information, and contact information. Anyone under 18 must obtain a separate authorization from the ESTA.
台灣公民要申請免簽，必須到電子旅遊官方授權系統（ESTA）網站上填寫申請表。 除了支付14美元的申請費外，那些想去那旅行的人還必須提供護照資料、最新的就業資訊以及聯絡方式。 任何18歲以下的人必須獲得ESTA的個別授權。
Taiwanese citizens wishing to apply are encouraged to do so as soon as possible. Citizens can apply anytime, but it should be noted that processing the application could take up to 72 hours to complete. Travelers’ plans may change or get set back, but luckily the ESTA authorization is good for two years, as long as a citizen’s passport remains valid.
This is great news not just for Taiwanese nationals, but for any eligible citizen residing in one of 38 participatingcountries. The United States is a huge country with an interesting culture. There are many things to see and do there, so take advantage of this opportunity!
1. hassle (n) a troublesome inconvenience 麻煩
Filing taxes is a big hassle. 申報稅單真是個大麻煩。
2. apply (v) to make a formal application or request 申請（＋for sth/ to sb）
Have you applied for the job yet? 你已經申請這份工作了嗎？
3. employment (n) the state of being employed 就業，就職
To find employment, you can look in the newspaper.
4. authorization (n) the act of getting official permission （官方）授權
Stanley had to obtain proper authorization before he was allowed to travel.
5. valid (adj.) legally acceptable 合法的，有效的
Are you sure these documents are valid? 你確定這些文件有效？
6. national (n) a citizen of a particular country 國民，（國家）公民
Mrs. Weber is a German national. Weber夫人是德國人。
7. participate (v) to be involved in 參與，參加（＋in）
I didn’t participate in many after-school activities. 我沒有參加很多課後活動。
Phrases and Sentence Patterns句型解析
1. on top of (phrase) in addition to 除…之外
On top a stomach virus, Dr. Evans also caught pneumonia.
2. fill out (phrasal verb) to add information such as your name or address in the empty spaces on an official document 填寫，填入（fill in）
Did you remember to fill out the form? 你記得填好表格了嗎？
3. get + set back (get + phrasal verb) to get delayed 延遲，延後
My appointment with Mr. Garlitz got set back. 我與Garlitz先生的會議往後延了。
4. take advantage of (phrase) to make good use of an opportunity 利用，佔便宜
Let’s take advantage of the good weather and go outside. 咱們趁著好天氣出去吧。