Airbnb is a booking service that has taken the world of accommodation by storm. Founded in 2008 and with its headquarters in San Francisco, Airbnb is now one of the world’s most popular accommodation services, with over 3 million places to stay listed. The Airbnb website enables hosts to offer up their home, apartment, hostel, hotel, or even tree house to potential guests. Here we look at the top-3 most popular Airbnbs listed in 2016. If you want to make a reservation at any of these, you’d better do it way, way, way in advance.
1. Tree House, Atlanta, USA
This tree house, or rather three tree houses connected by rope bridges with lights on them, was the most popular Airbnb in the world in 2016. This listing receives rave reviews, with guests praisingits laid-back atmosphere. Despite being located in a forest, it is only a few minutes away from downtown Atlanta. So how much does it cost for you and a friend to have the whole thing to yourself for a night? NTD12,000 is the current going rate for one night.
2. Seashell House, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
This quirky home on Isla Mujeres, or “Island of the Women,” takes the number two spot. The two buildings on site are shaped like a pair of white seashells, and all of the furniture and decorations inside are in line with the seashell theme. There’s also a gorgeous pool, as well as a beach nearby. One night goes for NTD9500 for four guests.
3. Modern Glass Tree House, Florence, Italy
Another tree house sits in the third spot. More of an elevated structure than a tree house, this handsome property sits on a family’s land about 30 minutes-walk from Florence’s main square. The land also features tennis courts, and guests can use the hosts’ kitchen. The rate is NTD7000 per night for two.
1. accommodation (n) place to stay 住宿；調節，和解
Does your company cover your accommodation on all your business trips?
2. headquarters (n) main office of a company 總部
The Disney headquarters is in Burbank, California.
3. rave (adj) enthusiastic/positive (related to a review or recommendation) 吹捧性評論，狂熱吹捧
Food critics gave rave reviews to the new Mexican restaurant.
4. praise (v) to say something/someone is great 讚賞
Brian was praised for his efforts in the project.
5. laid-back (adj) relaxed 休閒的，閑散的
My friend Carlton is kind and laid-back.
6. quirky (adj) weird in a kind of cool way 古怪的，詭異的
Prince was known for his unique, quirky style of pop music.
7. elevated (adj) raised 升高的，提高的
An elevated corridor connects the two buildings.
Phrases and Sentence Patterns句型解析
1. take sb/sth by storm (phr) to succeed overwhelmingly within a group 席捲…
The boy-band’s first album took the world by storm.
2. going rate (expression) for sth. the standard/typical rate 一般費用或酬金
What is the going rate for a 2L bottle of Coca-Cola these days?
3. on site (expression) at that location 在現場，實地
The park has two swimming pools on site.
4. in line with (phr) matching, similar to 符合，與…一致
Manuel’s role in the play is in line with his actual personality.