You’ve probably heard of a triathlon, which is a summer multi-sport event that includes three sports. ‘Tri’ means three, as in a triangle or tricycle. And ‘athlon’ is related to the word ‘athlete’. Here’s a list of multi-sport events and the sports that they include.
Just like a bicycle has two wheels, a biathlon includes two winter sports. Competitorsmust first go cross-country skiing, a kind of skiing on mostly flat ground, and then shootrifles.
As mentioned above, this event includes three summer sports. They are swimming, cycling, and running. Competitors have no break between the three, making this a real tough one!
Less known, this summer event consists of five sports in one day with a 30-minute break between each: fencing, swimming, horse show jumping, running, and laser gun shooting. Today’s pentathlon is a modern version of an ancient event designed to helpsoldiers train.
This summer event includes seven track and field sportsover the course of two days. These including hurdles, high jumps, throwing balls, running, long jumps, javelin throwing, and more running.
The Summer Olympics event of decathlon includes ten track and field sports over two days, and the winner is often considered the greatest athlete in the world.
1. multi- (abbreviation) combining form of multiple表示「多種的」、「多的」、「多方面的」
This restaurant is known for its multi-course meals.
2. athlete (n) professional sportsman or sportswoman運動員；體育家
The Olympics bring together athletes from all the countries of the world.
3. competitor (n) person who competes競爭者；對手；敵手
There will be 12 competitors in the 1000-meter race.
4. rifle (n) a long gun usually used for hunting步槍；來福槍
Hunters need to get a license for their rifles. 獵人需要有執照才能使用來福槍。
5. track and field (n) a group of sports usually done together on a running track and in a nearby field【體】田徑運動
The school track and field day is Henry’s favorite day or the year.
6. hurdle (n) a bar that must be jumped over while racing; an obstacle（賽馬或賽跑用的）欄；跳欄
The runner hit his knee on one of the hurdles and fell down on the track.
Phrases and Sentence Patterns句型解析
1. as in (phr) like, meaning即如；也就是
The sign says “Freedom for All”, as in “all people.”
2. consist of (phr) made up of由某事物組成或構成
This drink consists of coffee, tea, sugar, and milk.
3. designed to V (phr) made to為了某目的或用途而製造或計畫
This device is designed to only last a year or two, so users always have to buy new ones.
4. over the course of (phr) happening over a period of 在…這段過程/期間
The series will be shown on TV over the course of the next two years.
The Social Benefits of Playing Sports
When considering why we enjoy playing sports, many of us think first of the physical benefits or perhaps the simple fact that sports are fun. However, on top of these benefits, there are also many personal skills that can be developed by playing sports, some of which may even help you in your future career.
First, playing sports is a social activity. By joining a sports team, one can make new friends. The players on a team areunited in their common goal of winning. In order to do that, they must work as a team and communicate with one anothereffectively. Together, they will face and overcome challenges, they will laugh, and maybe they will even cry.
Second, one can develop leadership skills through sports. A team captain must be able to strategize and understand how to utilize each individual player’s strengths to the team’s advantage. He or she also has to acknowledge individual players’ weaknesses and help them to grow. A good leader must inspire others with his or her own ability, but also give others a chance to be in the spotlight.
Third, one can learn how to accept defeat. No team wins every single time, and this is an analogy to life; nobody is successful every single time in the real world. Players must learn not to be poor losers, nor should they be poor winners when they win. Respecting one’s opponents will get one far in life, no matter what one ends up doing.
1. united (adj) together 統一的，聯合的，團結的
All the players in the club were united in their love of chess.
2. effectively (adv) in a way that is successful in achieving something 有效地
The employee’s were reminded to use their time effectively.
3. captain (n) leader of a team (usually sports) (通常指運動)隊長
The captain of the football team injured his knee during the game.
4. strategize (v) to make strategies 策略發想，策畫(方案)
Winning this deal will require the salesperson to strategize carefully.
5. utilize (v) make good/practical use of 利用
Make sure to utilize your time effectively when studying.
6. acknowledge (v) recognize 承認，接受
At least he acknowledged that he was in the wrong.
7. analogy (n) a comparison between two things for the purpose of explaining something 相似，類似，類比
The professor made an analogy between trees producing oxygen and humans breathing.
Phrases and Sentence Patterns句型解析
1. on top of (phr) in addition to 除了…之外
On top of all the money Jan got for winning, she also acquired the respect of her family and friends.
2. to sb’s advantage (phr) in a way that benefit’s sb. 對(人)有益
It would be to your advantage to treat your team members more respectfully.
3. be in the spotlight (phr) to get attention or receive fame for something 出風頭，處於公眾注意力的中心
The congressman has been in the spotlight lately for his charity work.
4. get sb. far in life (phr) to make/help sb. be successful in life 使…成功
Being a kind person will get you far in life.
© Hwa jiuh Digital Technology Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Provided by Easy test.
Please do not change any contents and information when you forward this newsletter, and keep all messages of COPYRIGHT. Or you will infringe the rights of Hwa jiuh Digital Technology Ltd..